The beneficial effects of Hévíz water were already known in the Roman period. The 4.4 hectare lake is the largest warm-water lake with curative powers in Europe, surrounded by a 50-hectare forest. Regardless of its healing properties, Lake Hévíz is an imposing sight, as only the northern island of New Zealand – Rotorua – can boast with such a unique geological feature.
The lake has an oval-shaped surface and cross-section of an inclined cone, with the spring at its deepest point. According to current measurements, the lake is 38.5 meters deep. The water of Lake Hévíz is ‘heated’ by geothermal energy, with its temperature due to a mixture of hot spring water bursting forth from the depths of the earth mixed with limestone water. The temperature of the water fluctuates between 33 and 35 degrees Celsius in the summer and remains above 22 degrees Celsius in the autumn and winter months.
The following dissolved solids can be found in 1 liter of water:
K+ 7.2 F- 1.3
Na+ 26.0 Cl- 36.0
NH2+ 0.1 Br- 0.05
Ca2+ 81.0 I- 0.02
Mg2+ 28.5 S2- 3.5
Fe2 <0.02 SO42- <25.0
Total: 142.82 Total: 469,32 Radon emanation: 0.22 – 0.28 millicurie/l
Hévíz bathing cures and treatments are recommended in the following cases:
- Rheumatologic (musculoskeletal) diseases, all forms of degenerative, scletoric deformations (arthroses, ligament, small joint, spinal disc conditions, spondylosis, discopathy)
- Inflammatory diseases of the joints and passive state spinal conditions (arthritis, polyarthritis, e.g. RA, SPA, ankylosing spondylitis). Hévíz cures only have a beneficial effect on such diseases after their acute stage. Chronic conditions, however, can be effectively mitigated.
- Connective tissue rheumatism (muscle and tendon diseases), soft tissue rheumatism, fibromyalgia
- Secondary joint diseases, joint conditions associated with metabolic disorders (e.g. gout, diabetes)
- Joint inflammations associated with skin diseases (e.g. psoriasis-related joint and spinal conditions)
- Post-operational stages of fractures, accident injuries and musculoskeletal operations (mainly fractures of the extremities, sports injuries) in recovery stage
- Chronic conditions effecting the peripheral nervous system primarily due to mechanical causes (e.g. ischialgia, polyneuropathy, paresis)
- Pre- and post-operational treatment of joints, prosthesis operations (TEP), follow-up treatment of herniated disc surgery (discus hernia)
- Chronic gastrointestinal and gynecological diseases
The Hévíz bathing cure and treatments are not recommended in the following cases:
- Malignant tumors (the treatment is only recommended 5 years after a successful operation)
- Decompensated heart failure
- Acute inflammatory conditions
- Acute and chronic infectious diseases (e.g. tuberculosis, hepatitis, etc).
- Leukemia or other severe hematopoietic diseases and severe anemia, hemophilia
- Active (gastric or intestinal) ulcers, renal insufficiency
- Sudden onset fainting
- Chronic alcoholism, severe cirrhosis
- Exudative eczema, extensive wounds
- The first six weeks after x-ray treatment